Thursday, June 08, 2006

Let it all come flowing out now..for the betterment of the people?

 

Q & A with Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad

Q: Can you describe your relationship with the present administration? It looks very fragile.

A: When I decided to step down, I gave an undertaking that I would not involve myself in politics and not interfere with the Government. On the other hand, of course, there were certain things the incoming Government promised to do but did not. In fact, the incoming Government reversed many of the decisions made while its leader was in the (previous) Government.
There were no objections and we agreed fully with all the proposals. And I would have thought that they would be carried out. I understand of course that new leaders want to have an impact and make their mark during their time in power. The times may change, but what was undertaken before would have to be carried out, and new things can be introduced. So the decision not to keep to promises was not mine.
Of course I made my undertaking publicly. The leader of the new Government did not, but the fact is that promises were made on both sides. So if I have to comment, I think I have the right to comment. At present I support the Government, but if they do what I consider to be wrong and nobody seems to be able to voice their opposition, then I will have to stick my neck out.
Sticking my neck out is very familiar to me. I’ve done it many times within the country and outside. So I will again stick my neck out for it to be chopped.


Q: Do you regret quitting?

A: No. One cannot tell exactly what a person will do after he is out of your control. So I thought I made a good choice. I wouldn’t know if, had I picked somebody else, these things would not have happened. They might very well have happened.

Q: Is this your biggest blunder?

A: I have made many blunders in my career. I helped many people up, only for them to stab me in the back. So it is a common trait for me. I’m in the habit of choosing the wrong people. But the present Government can do a good job if they want to. The means are there but if they come under the influence of people who have other agendas, then I can’t help.

Q: Who are you referring to?

A: It is up to the Press to know. You know more than I do.

Q: But during your time the media was controlled and constrained.

A: During my time the Press was quite free. I admit there were certain restrictions because we live in a multiracial society where there are a lot of sensitivities. So we tell them not to stir up racial hatred or we’ll take action against them. You must remember many newspapers printed in the country have not complained to me about being censored. Harakah and Rocket condemned me all the time; they break the law as distribution is for members only. I did not act on them as they did not stir racial hatred.

Q: Pak Lah backstabbed you?

A: Minor bruises, like saying I finished all their money when I know full well it has never been as rich as it is now. Having chosen him as my successor... in fact he was not the first choice, he was second, as he didn’t have the highest vote. Najib had. I chose him and I expect a degree of gratitude. But I was told that I had been involved in megaprojects and finished the money, and nobody has the money now.

Q: Are you engineering the early departure of the PM?

A: No, I’m not capable of that. When he does the right thing, I would have nothing to say or I would support him, but if he does the wrong thing and undermines national interest, then I will have my say.


Q: Are you trying to remove him?

A: I can’t have him removed. It is for his own party to remove him. For Umno to remove him. I’m not helping or going around campaigning and telling people to please remove this man. But I’m supportive of Umno, my party.

Q: Any confidence in the present management?

A:If he keeps on doing the wrong things, I cannot be confident so I’ll keep watching. But it must be something substantial before I pass my comments. Simple things people do, like getting contracts, I will not say anything.

Q: Malaysia has sold sand to Singapore before.

A: Yes, sand was sold to Singapore in small quantities and used for reclaiming areas that didn’t affect us. Once it did, we had to put a stop to it.

Q: Has corruption increased since you retired?

A: Some people think there is more now than before. I don’t have the statistics on corruption during my time or now.


Q: Is Putrajaya not developing since you retired?

A: Putrajaya was built largely on Petronas funds. Petronas made a profit of RM50 billion last year and RM80 billlion this year. Petronas has a lot of money. Petronas can build if you want them to. Of course, it is 100 per cent owned by the Government and pays taxes of RM53 billion. Considering their total income, their inland revenue tax is about RM55 billion. This year it made RM83 billion and spent RM13 billion to subsidise petrol prices for the public, and it still has about RM70 billion, of which it will pay tax of RM30 billion and still have RM40 billion.
Petronas belongs to the Government, so to say the previous Government spent all the money is not supported by the facts.

Q: People are complaining the economy is slower than before.

A: A lot of people are complaining that the economy is not moving at the same rate as before. But the figures show otherwise. So I’m glad for the people who say it is moving. We need to have a breakdown of figures to see if we are looking at the wrong indicators.

No comments: