Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Tandas tidak bekerja

Recently, I had the pleasure of travelling down to jb on train.I have always loved travelling on trains, going back to my fosis days when after my morning law classes, I wud then take the train to travel up and down the country to train young budding muslims to be involved in uk student politics, only to return back to nottingham by late evening, and sometime in the wee hours of the winter mornings. Those were really the best of days (sigh..)



I took this picture in one of the carriages. Malaysians (translators) has always been known for either their bad english, or bad malay.



In this case, I'm betting that the translator must have been one of those pj boys/girls who had gone through a more anglophilic education, hence the notorious malay translation.



For the benefit of my british muslim friends who are reading this, the malay translation given on the picture for wc out of order is translated in malay as "wc is off work today".



There was this another joke in town, when u go to the movies to watch cowboy movies or a movie involving a shooting scene, the translation in malay wud sometime include words such as "itik!" Why? "itik" is the malay word for duck, as in the donald duck.



But instead of translating duck into "tunduk", which is the true meaning of take cover, so everytime the guy shoots at the villain, the word "itik" comes out.



I wonder sometimes whether those translator do even watch those movies that they are translating.



Ps: to my sime darby friends, I notice that those adverts that sd are putting up as translation to "sime darby- building sustainable futures" is also wrong. They are now put up as sime darby- membina masa depan yang "mampan", but this is incorrect, because sustainable should be translated as mapan without the m in the middle.



Mampan means kukuh or strong.unless of course u meant a strong future, which I don't think you do.



Selamat berpuasa everyone!







Sent via StrawBerry from Maxis Mobile

2 comments:

Iron Butterfly said...

usually translators are given the DVD of the movie, and also a transcript so that they can translate correctly. that's how my sister did it when she translated some fear factor episodes before.

or maybe they took the translation from those pirated DVDs. heh.

bilo nok bukok poso nga I nih. hari tu kato nok lunch.

Iron Butterfly said...

yeah. it's MAPAN. why laa these people.