Sunday, April 27, 2008

The edge- business and investment weekly

I have always said to my friends, local and foreign, that if u want to know the real truth about malaysia, printed and distributed, then read the edge.

I am one of those lucky boys who was introduced to this brilliantly edited weekly financial newspaper, at the rather tender age of 16. I really thank my father for this. I never stopped reading it eversince, bar when I was away in england (even then I wuldnt miss it when I get back home for summer hols).

The edge, for some 'reasons', could really call a spade a spade. I mean, what newspaper in this bolehland could do that ( well pre 8th march 08 at least not many could). If u say the sun, well then u shud know that the sun only came after the edge, and the sun is under the same roof with the edge.

I always think that the edge has this subtle political agenda in it, in a good way that is. It subcribes to the notion that a more competitive, meritocratic, open and liberal malaysia, is the best way forward to this young nation ( yes 50 is young ok )

It always comes up with all this amazing scoops! There's so many of them related to the corporate world (such as the disney deal, the umno companies saga, etc) and then there s also the ones that I call a true political scoop.I still remember that a week before dsai was released, someone wrote in the edge that he will be released next week, and it actually came true! I mean what bigger political scoop than that?!

I think in malaysia, as long as u talk about money and the corporate world, u can get away with criticising the govt or politics.
Maybe because at the end of the day, all govts either the bn or pakatan, wud need a strong corporate world behind it.

Anyways,

I am always amaze by the information that they can gather through their connection, and then writing a brilliant article abt it. I always enjoy the articles that criticises govt policies, glc's or just any random non performing companies, and all are done in the name of corporate journalism!

For me, the works of mr kay tat as editor, and writings of anna taing, leela barrock, jose barrock, risen jayasilen,m shanmugam, azam aris, and yes kam raslan (who apparently is now on holiday somewhere), is just phenomenal sometimes! And kam if ure reading this pls come back writing, two weeks reading that dude trying his best to impersonate ure writing, it is just unbearable!

I always recommend to my young corporate friends, please read the edge . I am very sad that only a handful read them regularly, while the majority has never even read them. I mean how are u going to be a good ceo one day if u don't read the edge? Its like the textbook for corporate malaysia! U can never go wrong with it man!

The following is an excerpt of a short editorial written on page 3 of this weeks the edge.I bet u won't find any of these in other newspapers.

The edge april 28 - 2008
Meritocracy over politics

Let's admit it.former gerakan dep second gen datuk lee kah choon's appointment as director of invest penang has certainly got cm lim guan eng into trouble with the dap members, many viewing the move as a betrayal to dap.

But what's wrong with capable people agreeing to serve his state?

In fact, cm lim's courage to appoint the best for the job shud be emulated by others.

The same principle shud apply to glc's.talented people shud not be disqualified from key positions in a glc or govt companies just because they are of certain race or religion, or affiliated to the wrong party.

We don't know how many pas members were sidestepped during promotion exercise in the civil service.

And when dato seri idris jala was appointed to the top post as mas ceo, let's not pretend that there no noises from some within the barisan nasional.

*He is a non muslim, apparently they didn't know this until 2 months or so into his appointment.

What's more imp is that he was appointed because khazanah saw him as the best man for the job. The fact that mas was turned around earlier than expected is proof that his appointment was the right move.

It must be ensured that a person is appointed based on merit and not overlooked because of race religion or political affiliation.

To borrow lim guan eng's word, the time has indeed come for leaders to approach governance based on competence, accountability and transparency.

So stop bickering and start doing what's right for the public.

*go buy ure copy of the edge now! :)

Sent via BlackBerry from Maxis

No comments: